This Week in Data with Colin Charles 45: OSCON and Percona Live Europe 2018 Call for Papers
Join Percona Chief Evangelist Colin Charles as he covers happenings, gives pointers and provides musings on the open source database community.
Hello again after the hiatus last week. I’m en route to Portland for OSCON, and am very excited as it is the conference’s 20th anniversary! I hope to see some of you at my talk on July 19.
On July 18, join me for a webinar: MariaDB 10.3 vs. MySQL 8.0 at 9:00 AM PDT (UTC-7) / 12:00 PM EDT (UTC-4). I’m also feverishly working on an update to MySQL vs. MariaDB: Reality Check, now that both MySQL 8.0 and MariaDB Server 10.3 are generally available.
Rather important: Percona Live Europe 2018 Call for Papers is now open. You can submit talk ideas until August 10, and the theme is Connect. Accelerate. Innovate.
- sysbench 1.0.15 – the MySQL driver is now the default in all database benchmarks.
- MariaDB 10.3.8 – a lot of fixes, and an interesting backup enhancement: mariabackup now supports the MyRocks engine
- Percona Server for MongoDB 3.6.5-1.3 – basically a rebase to MongoDB 3.6.5.
- Realtime replication from MySQL to ClickHouse in practice
- PouchDB was inspired by Apache CouchDB, and the goal was to ensure it ran well in the browser, and give one the ability to have similar experiences online as well as offline. Mikeal Rogers talks about why he thinks we haven’t seen an increase in offline capable applications.
- How to make MongoDB not suck for analytics
- MySQL Guide to Ports – a lot more than just 3306!
- 10 years of Apache Cassandra
- A lot of slides to read from Tampere MariaDB Developers Unconference: Reportback & Presentations
- Through the Looking Glass: Analyzing the interplay between memory, disk, and read performance – from the MongoDB blog.
- MySQL 8.0: Support for BLOBs in TempTable engine
- Audit Log’s JSON format logging – now in MySQL, worth noting the Percona audit plugin has done JSON output for a while too.
- Jean-François Gagné (blog, LinkedIn, Twitter) has departed Booking.com to become a Senior Infrastructure Engineer at MessageBird.
- Matt Yonkovit (LinkedIn, Chief Customer Officer at Percona, has announced that he is transitioning out of Percona.
- OSCON – Portland, Oregon, USA – July 16-19 2018