Join Percona Chief Evangelist Colin Charles as he covers happenings, gives pointers and provides musings on the open source database community.
Don’t wait, submit a talk for Percona Live Europe 2018 to be held in Frankfurt 5-7 November 2018. The call for proposals is ending soon, there is a committee being created, and it is a great conference to speak at, with a new city to boot!
- A big release, MySQL 8.0.12, with INSTANT ADD COLUMN support, BLOB optimisations, changes around replication, the query rewrite plugin and lots more. Naturally this also means the connectors get bumped up to the 8.0.12, including a nice new MySQL Shell.
- A maintenance release, with security fixes, MySQL 5.5.61 as well as MariaDB 5.5.61.
- repmgr v4.1 helps monitor PostgreSQL replication, and can handle switch overs and failovers.
- Saving With MyRocks in The Cloud – a great MyRocks use case, as in the cloud, resources are major considerations and you can save on I/O with MyRocks. As long as your workload is I/O bound, you’re bound to benefit.
- Hasura GraphQL Engine allows you to get an instant GraphQL API on any PostgreSQL based application. This is in addition to Graphile. For MySQL users, there is Prisma.
- Jeremy Cole (Linkedin) ended his sabbatical to start work at Shopify. He was previously hacking on MySQL and MariaDB Server at Google, and had stints at Twitter, Yahoo!, his co-owned firm Proven Scaling, as well as MySQL AB.
- Dremio raises $30 million from the likes of Cisco and more for their Series B. They are a “data-as-a-service” company, having raised a total of $45m in two rounds (Crunchbase).
- db tech showcase Tokyo 2018 – 19-21 September 2018
I look forward to feedback/tips via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @bytebot.
The post This Week in Data with Colin Charles 47: MySQL 8.0.12 and It’s Time To Submit! appeared first on Percona Database Performance Blog.